Next RLN meeting: Tuesday, January 7

Happy 2020! Please join us next Tuesday, January 7 at 7p at the Ingleside Branch of the SFPL. We hope to see you there!

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

Minutes posted 2/5/2020:

In Attendance:  Neighbors: Mary Beth D’Alonso; Robert Muelhbauer; Warren Longmire; Lynn Yuan; Danielle Casey Callaghan; Barbara VanderBorghtSFPA: Susanna Fraker; DPW: Jonathan Goldberg


Note on Jonathan’s current role in relation to RLN involvement, during the interim with no official DPW liaison.  His title is Green Benefits and Community Programs Director, which includes managing Add Back Projects, but he also is working on Street Parks and Urban Harvesting, as well, and we’re glad he is. (jonathan.goldberg@sfdpw.org)


PARCEL 4 UPDATE

Railings needed to be changed due to the changes made to the staircase, which were necessitated by the unexpected live water pipe. This is moving ahead now.

  • Most recent issue concerns changes for an extended landing going onto San Miguel, which gave become required by the ADA inspector at DPW. Even though the previous design had been approved, the delays and other design changes made the whole project come under renewed scrutiny, and the parameters for ADA accesibility may have become more strict. LMNOP estimated that the cost to accommodate these changes, including raising a manhole cover, would be approximately $15,000. Lanita, from CCG indicated to Jonathan that she would have the funding, through SFPA handled grant money, to cover this increased cost.
  • They are waiting for the detailed formal drawings from Nahal to get approval from John Paul Scott, the ADA inspector.  He has already approved the informal drawings.  
  • Nahal stated she would send the preliminary drawings to Jonathan the next day for ADA review.
  • When the final drawings are ADA approved and Tyler (LMNOP) sends in an official estimate, Jonathan can approach Lanita for funding.
  • The railings and gabion benches are ready to be installed (except in the area of the extension).
  • The irrigation connection has been installed by the water department, ready to be hooked up to the irrigation system.

It would be nice to have an opening celebration around Valentine’s Day (Love Our City!)  Is this possible?

SFPA UPDATE

The Southwest Manager position has been filled, but that person, Terence Wu, won’t be starting until the end of February.  Can he come to our February meeting anyway?
Contacts:  recently emails have been sent by Claude, rather at the last minute, to only one or two people in our group – generally not the ones handling those matters.  This includes our financials, which should be going to Moneka. Susanna will see that he sends them to the right people.
Financial matters:  We have 2 accounts with SFPA: General and Grants. We would like to have better access to our ongoing financial  situation.  SFPA is working on a way partners can view their accounts online, but until this happens, we would at least like to have quarterly reports, and hopefully, get the balance amounts from our liaison on a monthly basis – at our meetings.

OTHER

We should have a current RLN list…this will go out so all can make updates.  Danielle will be the administrator 

Robert hasn’t gotten any response vis a vis top of Caine lot development.  He will continue to try to contact the developer,Jerry.

Apparently the Friends of Summit Steps have been promised a very large ($1 mil) grant by our supervisor.  How did they do that?  Was noted that they have been active in organizing or collaborating with  fund raising events.Danielle will see about attending one of their meetings. 

Barbara mentioned that she knows someone from the Cayuga neighborhood who had been instrumental in organizing their community to be prepared for emergencies.  She’s willing to come speak to us, if people are interested.  Groups expressed interest.  barbara will ask her to come to our March meeting.

Next meeting to be held on February 4, 2020 at 7pm at the Ingleside Library Meeting Room, unless otherwise notified.
Respectfully submitted,Barbara VanderBorght 

Next RLN meeting: Tuesday, November 12

Due to election day on Tuesday, November 5, the next meeting of RLN has been moved to Tuesday, November 12. Please join us at 7p at the Ingleside Branch of the SFPL. We hope to see you there! (And don’t forget to vote on November 5!)

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

RLN Meeting Tuesday, October 1st

Hello Neighbors,

Due to meeting space availability, the October meeting will be held at a neighbors house. Please message if you would like the address.

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

We hope to see you there!

Minutes added 10/10/2019:

In Attendance:  Mary Beth D’Alonzo; Warren Longmire: Scott Kauffman; Robert Muehlbauer; Moneka Urbanske; Danielle Callaghan; Lynn Yuan; Barbara VanderBorghtFrom SFPA: Susanna Fraker
Welcome to Susanna, who is our interim liaison at SFPA.  A search for a permanent replacement for Marissa is in progress.Robert M. led the meeting.
SFPA MATTERRLN would like to have access to our financial accounts, but since this is not possible with the current SFPA system, we would like to have monthly reports so we know what our financial situation is on an ongoing basis, including being able to thank those making contributions.  Susanna said she would see about making this possible, and Moneka offered to work with her on this.
PARCEL 4RailingThe railing design was approved on September 4, and is being fabricated.  There is a 6 week lead time from the approval until it can be installed, so we should figure on that happening in mid-October sometime.UPDATE:  Mary Beth reported that the September 4 approval was not the final one in the process.  We are now looking at mid-November or later for the railing installation.
FenceThere have been 3 separate surveys to determine where the fence line for Ridge Lane and the property of 55 Caine is.  Although they all are in agreement, there was some confusion generated when trying to follow the City’s survey.This has mostly been resolved, however there are further questions to be answered:
Q. Should the fence be placed on the property line, or totally on public City property?  A. It was decided to place it totally on the public side of the property line.
Q. Who owns the fence? A. The City, especially since it will be on public property. This will make the City liable for it’s upkeep and replacement needs, presumably?
Q. What type of fence style will be installed?A. Since the property owner had a shadow box style fence there already, this should be considered a replacement for that.
Q. The property owner has been unresponsive in the past to approving a date to get the fence installed.  What should we do in the future?A. We will alert him to the date when the fence will be ready for installation and let hime know that we will be going ahead with this if we do not hear from him by a certain date before the installation.
WaterAn active water pipe was broken in early September while there was no work going on on the Lane.  The water department made a temporary fix, but a permanent repair is needed. Kimberly Kiefer is our new liaison at DPW. Someone (Mary Beth?) will follow up with her about this.An upside of the pipe break is that it was now clear where the back flow prevention device should go.  This has been installed – waiting for an inspection, after which the water meter can be installed.
Lights and BenchesWill these be installed at same time as the railing?  Mary Beth will look into.
Many Thanks to Mary Beth for all her work sorting this out for us!
Bottom Line completion date:  LMNOP’s deadline for project completion is the end of 2019.
WEBSITEDanielle has developed a new website for us, with input from Warren, Mary Beth and Kristin. She also created a new email address for the public: RidgeLaneNeighbors2019@gmail.com
Question for group:  since the domain name we had been using: RidgeLaneNeighbors.org has not become available for use yet (although many attempts were made to free it up), what domain name should we use for the website?It was decided to go with RidgeLaneNeighborsSF.org The email address should now be changed to that name as well, to be consistent. UPDATE:  The new website has gone live!  Thank you Danielle!   Has the email address been changed as well?
The cost for the new name and server hosting for 3 years is $106.  This fee will come from money Lynn has on hand from t-shirt sales.
OPENING CELEBRATIONAlthough it is hoped that the lights (especially) and benches will be installed around the same time as the railing, it was decided we should have our opening celebration as soon as possible after the Lane is safely open to foot traffic when the railing are installed.Mary Beth will let us know when Tyler of LMNOP has a projected finish date, then we can put out a couple of possible dates in November and December for our group to agree upon.UPDATE:  since the railing won’t be installed now until mid-November, we need to look at early December as a first possible date – maybe Saturday, December 7? 
It could be as simple as an announcement as:  The Lane is Open!  Come Celebrate!We should invite all our donors and institutional partners, as well as the Mayor and our supervisor, for a public acknowledgement and thank you.  And a t-shirt.  Perhaps the Taco Tuesday neighbors would be willing to come.A special planning group (and meeting?) should be put together.
Next MeetingSince the first Tuesday in November is Election day, we will hold our monthly meeting on Tuesday, November 12, at 7:00pm at the Ingleside Library, unless otherwise notified.
Respectfully submitted,barbara vanderborght

RLN Meeting Tuesday, Sept 10th

Hello Neighbors,

Due the Labor Day holiday, the September meeting of RLN, will be one week later than normal, Sept 10th, 7-8:30pm at SF Public Library, Plymouth @ Ocean.

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

Minutes Updated September 27, 2019

1. Welcome

Neighbors Robert Muehlbauer; Moneka Urbanske; Lynn Yuan; Scott Kauffman; Patricia Ris; Danielle Casey Callaghan

2. Approval of August Minutes

·       Moneka’s update on Neighborfest include that it’s a bureocratic project that has too many demands (e.g., certain days the festivity can be held, etc.) and not worth dealing with. We should hold our own neighborhood gathering for Parcel 4, as described below.

3. Monthly updates:
SF Parks Alliance – Marissa has left SFPA for a position with Urban Sprouts. Our SF Parks Alliance contacts moving forward will be Claude Imbault and Amanda Montez

Claude Imbault, Associate Director of Partner Experience
claude@sfparksalliance.org – (415) 606-5856 (cell)

Amanda Montez, Director of Programs
amanda@sfparksalliance.org – (202) 329 – 2566 (cell)

Follow up:

·       Danielle will send a note of thanks to Marissa on behalf of RLN– Marissa was a great asset to the team, especially pushing though the LMNOP contract.

·       Should Claude and Amanda be added to the Google group list? If so, Warren, please add them to the list.


Progress at Parcel 4

Stairs – planking has been installed, stained, and sealed.

Railings – Shop drawings were created by the fabricator and approved by DPW. On 9/5, Tyler communicated that approval to the company that will fabricate the railings and will confirm the schedule for installation. Six weeks is the expected timeline. Sorting who could approve drawings took a bit of work.

Thanks to Nahal for coordinating review of shop drawings by DPW. This process highlighted the importance of having good relationships with our partners.

Tyler has said that as soon as the railings are installed, the lane can be reopened.

Fence – LMNOP staff placed what was thought to be the fence line but upon further review of our survey and Richard’s, the north-south running line was moved to extend the house-side of the sidewalk instead of the road-side of the sidewalk. The folks at 3 Caine Ave shared their survey confirming this line placement. Mary Beth is ready to approve the new location of the fence and has requested that Richard meet to review the line. Richard would like a shadowbox style erected. The other options are flat top with a cap or dog eared. One benefit of shadowbox is that both sides look the same so no one is getting the rail side.

Does someone have our full-size survey from 2014 to share with Mary Beth?

Follow up:

·       Patricia and Robert will look for their copies of the surveys.

·       What is the cost of the shadowbox fence and is this accounted for in the LMNOP bid?

Water – the water supply line that runs up the parcel is old and corroded. In the initial work on site, it was cracked creating a leak that continued about 3 days. LMNOP immediately contacted the Water Department who sent out the sewer people. Mary Beth’s report to 311 was also directed to Sewer but was quickly rerouted to Water. The Water Department put in a temporary fix and are working on a long-term solution.

The Water Department personnel who put in the temporary fix told Tyler that the pipe has been a known issue. That pipe supplies Gen’s house and doesn’t feed Caine Ave. as we have been told.

This pipe could be the better location for our meter. Mary Beth has contacted Jeff Fong, at New Installations Unit of the Water Department (who was very helpful with the meter application) for input on the best siting of the meter. Tyler sees three options: near the break in the pipe (about midway up the stairs close to Gen’s house), at the bottom of the stairs off the now-temporary pipe, or on Caine Ave. The Caine Ave. site seems the most difficult and possibly costly as we haven’t located the pipe to tie into and would involve cutting the sidewalk. The other locations include a known pipe location and no concrete cutting. The spot midway up the stairs would also allow for the backflow prevention device to be somewhat concealed.

Update: Jeff Fong has agreed to the new location (Northside of Ridge Lane halfway between Caine and San Miguel) – once the installation is scheduled, the foreman can approve the location. Tyler can now move forward with the Backflow Prevention Device Installation.

Follow up:

·       Mary Beth met with Tyler onsite on Sept 11. She will update Nahal and Eric about the new location, which is at nearly the same elevation as the sidewalk.

Landscaping – As can be seen, really big weeds were removed when LMNOP returned. The landscaper was been on site to start planning. They will first soak the site with water repeatedly to force germination of the existing weed seeds. Once sprouted, those weeds will be removed. The landscaper has used this method of weed removal successfully (avoiding the use of chemical) on other projects. Later this fall, they will return to complete the plantings. Landscaping work will not delay opening of the lane.

Update: there was a discussion about over-weeding of native plants along the lane and a desire to have a neighborhood gathering where people can be educated about the native landscapes that attracts (and is vital to) many butterflies. Perhaps this can be part of the impending Parcel 4 celebration (see below).

Bollards and benches are also part of LMNOP’s scope of work. They will need one of the bollards from Lynn soon to plan installation. Tyler and Lynn have been in touch.

Update: Lynn has given a bollard to Tyler. Can someone please clarify that this is for Parcel 4 and NOT for Parcel 1?

Parcel 4 Celebration

In anticipation of Parcel 4 being re-opened upon installation of the railings, we would like to plan a day of celebration and neighborhood clean up on Saturday, November 9th from 10a-12p. Details will be planned at the October meeting – once confirmed, SF leaders (Safai, etc.) should be notified.

Parcel 1 Bollards

As we learned in August, the top sections of three lights were stolen from Parcel 1. Scott purchased one replacement at a cost of $500 from a distributor in Victoria – thank you, Nahal, for your help in negotiating this discount!

Follow up:

·       Moneka has been wanting a comprehensive list of our costs and available money, so she will contact SF Parks Alliance – that information will help us learn if we can purchase two more replacements ($1000 total)

Parcel 3 Construction

Jerry Cullinane joined the meeting and explained that he is at an impasse with the city for the property a the top of Caine/against Ridge Lane. Jerry has proposed three buildings on the property: the two front units face Caine, are approx. 7’ lower than Charles’ house, and are each three bedrooms with one parking spot. The third building faces Ridge Lane, is approximately the same height as Charles’ house, is three stories and three bedrooms. SF planners are suggesting he scrap this third building, make the front two units longer and add an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) to each of them. Jerry explained to them that his design has support from a neighborhood group (RLN) advocating for the third building, in order to increase traffic on Ridge Lane. The planners suggested that if RLN writes a letter noting this support, it would go a long way in Jerry’s efforts to build the three units.

Discussion ensued about the difference between two units, each with an ADU vs. three units, and there was a consensus of support for Jerry’s three-building design with one caveat: that Jerry lower the height of the third building to two stories. Jerry was amenable.

Follow up:

·       Jerry will ask the architect to redesign the third building to two stories (and probably two bedrooms). He will share the plans with Robert and will provide a digital version of the updated design.

·       Robert will draft a letter of support and will circulate it to the RLN group for approval and signatures.

Community Challenge Grant

Nahal, thank you for bringing the grant to our attention. Applications open Sept 11 and are due Oct 16.

Update: There was consensus at the meeting to NOT apply for this cycle of the grant and instead to wait until 2020. Reasons for this decision include: a feeling that the city will not grant more money considering that we’ve had a lack of progress thus far; a reminder that the grant is term-based and we are not even sure what parcel the money would be used for, let alone ready to enter into contract and spend the money; a lack of availability by group members to devote themselves to writing the grant at this time. If we wait until 2020, we should be able to show that Parcel 4 has been completed and we can use the enthusiasm from that progress to bolster a better application.

Follow up:

·       Danielle will download the 2019 application and guidelines to provide some guidance in advance of next year’s application—these will be saved to the RLN Google Drive.

Other issues

·       Moneka suggests that we do not go through the city for clean-up days, but instead organize clean up days ourselves and call 311 afterwards to pick up the debris. It would be great if we could organize group clean-ups approximately three times a year in April, July and October. These can be casual gatherings with bagels and coffee. Also, maybe group members can adopt a section of the lane to clear of trash every so often.

·       There is an OMI Health and Wellness Fair at Minnie and Lovie Ward Rec Center on 9/21 at 11a. Moneka has more information if you’d like it.

·       There is a Planning Commission Meeting for the Balboa Reservoir Project being held on 9/12. The project is in the Environmental Impact Report stage, which is a big step towards approval. Construction will not begin until 2022 or 2023.

·       Did anyone go to the second planning meeting for the Balboa Park Station Parking Lot plan? If so, can you please share any notes or observations? Thank you again, Warren, for your notes on the first meeting.

·       As a reminder, the RLN Shared Folder exists on Google Drive as a place to store information about the project. Much information is stored there already, but it would be good to think about what knowledge you have that should be stored in the folder to be shared with the group.

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8uSx4YiOwdafjZuVHA4U2YwemJmVlpQUE1wak93dHpVWEdSdFVDOGpTUEZINVlKdEMzNm8

·       Eric M. has decided to step away from RLN. The website is tied to a personal account and has been archived. It will go offline on 9/15. He has provided Warren with a file of the site. We need to determine how to replace the website.

Eric’s decision also puts a spotlight on our need to take care of ourselves and each other through this very long and often stressful process – and serves as a reminder that everyone is making contributions to this project in their own way. Also, please make the group aware of personal financial undertakings for the project as the group may be unaware of your contributions.

Follow up:

·         Who manages the ridgelaneneighbors@gmail.com email address? If it’s Eric, Warren, can you please check in with him about having this account managed by a current member of RLN?

·         Danielle will look into starting a new website. Patricia suggested using Wix instead of WordPress and is looking into some details about Wix. It’s possible that the file Eric provided to Warren will be easily transferred to Wordpress, so that may be easiest – but thank you in advance, Patricia, for researching.

·         The group would like to see logos of partners on the new website. Patricia will gather the logos for this purpose, and Robert will print a sheet that can be added to the kiosks. Partners discussed include: SF Parks Alliance, DPW, PUC, CCG, OMICC, Mayor’s Office (and perhaps more that Patricia noted).

5. Closing

RLN Meeting at SFPL Tonight, August 6th, 7:00 pm

Hello Neighbors,

The August meeting of RLN is tonight, August 6th, 7-8:30pm at SF Public Library, Plymouth @ Ocean.

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

We hope to see you there!

 

***minutes added 8/15***

In Attendance:  Neighbors Robert Muehlbauer; Moneka Urbanske; Lynn Yuan; Scott Kauffman; Warren Longmire; Spencer Charlton; Barbara VanderBorght

Parcel 3 Development Update
Robert reiterated that he was informed that a proposal was formally submitted to the Planning Dept. 3 months ago.  The developer was supposed to meet with the Planning Dept. on July 17, but no communication has been forthcoming regarding that meeting or any other news.
Robert will contact the developer to ask about what happened at that meeting, and also to get confirmation on what he plans to do with the houses, as there has been some confusion about what was heard at our only public meeting – we believe he plans to rent them, but there is a question about whether they will be low income (Section 8, for example) rentals, perhaps to offset a market rate building project in another part of the City.  Clarification on this would be most appreciated.
Parcel 4 Update
From Marisa’s email: more requirements needed to be met which held things up again.  The new projected start date is August 19?
It was felt that perhaps we need to establish a personal connection with LMNOP and let them know how important it is that they get going on this project.  Warren will make the initial call, then let us know what transpires and whether more of us should make calls to them.
It was also suggested that perhaps we should start lobbying politicians – eg Mayor Breed, and DPW department head.  Perhaps Sandra Zuniga could give us some ideas about how best to proceed – who would like to follow through on either of these avenues? 
Parcel 1 Update
Scott ordered a replacement light for the one taken off one of our bollards, and it should be on its way.  NOTE:  since our meeting, unfortunately 3 more lights have been removed – we need to come up with a plan on how to deal with this.
Neighborhood Block Party
Moneka has learned more about the process being offered by NEN.  There are several dates available in September, October and November.  We can google Neighborfest SF to read more about it and see which available

dates seem good for us to have an event on Parcel 1.  Having it there means we wouldn’t have to go through the process of having a street shut down, nor have to depend on Parcel 4 being finished – plus it’s easier to have it on a level stretch of Lane.  Moneka sees the purpose to create more community connection in the neighborhood, including who might need help in an emergency, as well as raising awareness of what we are doing to improve Ridge Lane.
Moneka has offered to host.   Please take a look at the website (empowers.org/neighborfest) and offer opinions, suggestions.
Next Meeting:  September 3 at 7:00pm at Ingleside Library, unless otherwise notified.
Respectfully submitted,
Barbara VanderBorght

RLN Meeting at SFPL Tuesday, July 9th, 7:00 pm

Hello Neighbors,

Due to the 4th of July holiday, we are pushing the monthly meeting out a week until Tuesday July 9th, 7-8:30pm, SFPL.

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

We hope to see you there!

 

**meeting notes added 7/31**

In Attendance:  Neighbors: Scott Kauffman; Moneka Urbanske; Russell Deweese: Lynn Yuan; Warren Longmire; Barbara VanderBorght

SFPA: Marissa Alexander;  Designers: Nahal Sohbati and Eric Arneson
Parcel 4 Update
We finally have official approval from the City, and the contract was signed on July 8.
Start date from LMNOP should be July 29.  Need confirmation from LMNOP – Marissa will let us know.
They will be doing the infrastructure, including the the irrigation system (and incorporating the installation of the water meter by the PUC).
Landscaping will come approximately 3 months later – hopefully staring sometime in October.
It was noted that during this hiatus from work on the project, the concrete stairs have been graffitied and the wooden steps have been modified for people to use the Lane behind the fence, somewhat unsafely.
Should we put up a sign indicating that work will begin soon – perhaps including a date, if we have complete confirmation of the start date?  It was thought that LMNOP should put up this Coming Soon type sign.  Marissa will talk to them about it.  They will also have to deal with the graffiti and making the site more secure.
Once the infrastructure work begins, it should be completed in about 6 weeks – so mid September?  Time for a party!?!
Parcel 3 Development
Moneka will ask Robert to send out an email regarding any news about the development plans.
It was noted that someone cut down all the growth on the lot -but left the cut dry grass/plants strewn around – making it less safe than before, both from a fire and walking on the path standpoint.  This is till the case.  It appears that they are moving ahead, as various people have been by to do various things connected to the building project…where do things stand?
Parcel 1 Maintenance needs
One of the slats on a bench is broken – we should be able to replace that.
One of the bollard lights’ top cap is missing.  Nahal said we can get that from our supplier.  Scot offered to pay for the replacement, since apparently all our non-City fund balance went to paying off LMNOP to cover a shortage (?).
The timing device on our irrigation system may need new batteries.
I’m unsure who is taking care of these issues – ?
NEN Neighbor Fest
Moneka reported that NEN is offering to help neighborhoods navigate through City requirements to put on community events/Block Parties.
We would need to know what the time frame in which this would have to happen….thinking it would be good to have a party when Parcel 4 is ready to open (sometime in September?).  A brief discussion on what we could do to make it fun for families, what would our theme be – maybe have activities relating to the habitat for the  Pipevine Swallowtail we are developing on the Lane.
Moneka will look into this further and get back to us.
Next Meeting
Tuesday, August 6 at 7:00pm at the Ingleside Branch (unless otherwise notified).
Respectfully Submitted,
Barbara VanderBorght

RLN Meeting at SFPL Tuesday, June 4th, 7:30 pm

Ridge Lane Neighbors will be holding our regular monthly meeting at the SF Public Library, Plymouth @ Ocean, Tuesday night, June 4th, from 7:30 – 8:30pm.

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

We hope to see you there!