Remote RLN meeting: Tuesday, May 5

Please join us for a remote meeting of Ridge Lane Neighbors on Tuesday, May 5 at 7p. If you’d like to join, email ridgelaneneighborssf@gmail.com to receive the link to the ZOOM meeting.

Stay safe and healthy, neighbors!

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

Remote RLN meeting: Tuesday, April 7

Please join us for a remote meeting of Ridge Lane Neighbors on Tuesday, April 7 at 7p. If you’d like to join, email ridgelaneneighborssf@gmail.com to receive the link to the ZOOM meeting.

Stay safe and healthy, neighbors!

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

Next RLN meeting: Tuesday, March 10

Because of Election Day on March 3rd, we have rescheduled the next RLN meeting to Tuesday, March 10th at 7p at the Ingleside Branch of the SFPL.

And don’t forget about the Ridge Lane Clean Up Day on Saturday, February 29th–we’ll meet at 10a at Howth & Ridge Lane. We hope to see you there!

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

Next RLN meeting: Tuesday, February 4

Please join us next Tuesday, February 4 at 7p at the Ingleside Branch of the SFPL. We hope to see you there!

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

In attendance:  Neighbors: Warren Longmire; Scott Kauffman; Lynn Yuan; Mary Beth D’Alonzo; Barbara VanderBorghtLiaisons:  Susanna Fraker and Terence Wu from SFPA; Jonathan Goldberg and Sequoia from DPW
Apologies if I left anyone out, and for not including Sequoia’s last name, but I don’t have the sign in sheet, as Warren needed it to add names to our RLN mail group.
I have included updates on agenda items from this meeting as NOTES.

PARCEL 4 UPDATE form Mary Beth

  • The pad for the backflow device has been installed at the top of the Lane and the pipes have been buried in concrete.
  • The railings have been installed, except at the bottom, awaiting the build out of the ADA extension.  A concern was raised about the gaps in the railings at the level parts of the walkway since there is a substantial drop on either side to the current level of the ground.  This occurs in two segments.  The drop is about 2-3 feet in some cases.  How will this be addressed?  Will the landscaping bring the level of the soil up further?  Can some edging be put on the sides of the wooden walkway?  If the soil comes up to the level of the wood, is this detrimental to the wood lasting over time?  It was also mentioned that it looks odd to have the railings part and stop with gaps in between.
  • Another concern involved the length of the benches – it is possible to lie down on two of them.  Putting a small barrier in the middle has been suggested – if it is found that this is necessary.
  • The extension build out is waiting for a firm estimate from LMNOP to be sent to Jonathan.  This should be happening shortly.  There was a question about the manhole cover holding this up.Then the finance team (from CCG) can move the money to the right project.
  • Shane is now the LMNOP Project Manager for RLN.
  • Rock and Rose will do the landscaping once all the hardscape has been completed.  They have already done a weeding once over awhile ago.

It was determined that we should open Parcel 4 (ie remove the fence) as soon as the extension is completed, even if the bollards are not yet installed.  The bollards will have theft protection devices on them, and further protection involving a thin metal collar over the screws was suggested.  Jonathan will talk to LMNOP about this.
It was proposed that we schedule a Ridge Lane Clean Up day for Saturday, February 29 from 10-12, in conjunction with a soft opening of Parcel 4. Scott will coordinate the Clean Up preparation, including getting flyers made (design from Nahal) and printed (by DPW); ordering tools and bags, as well as a pick up of full bags from DPW.  He’ll consult with Patricia who has organized these in the past.

NOTE: Flyers have been made.  Announcements posted. We are going ahead with Clean Up, without opening 4. See below
NOTE:Parcel 4 will not be ready for a soft opening at the end of February.  Due to a variety of factors: 2-4 weeks for DPW approvals followed by funding; railing fabrication, which can’t begin until approvals done; 2 week minimum for installation. so we are now looking at April 24 for completion.  Fences can not come down until then due to liability issues.

FINANCES

Susanna thinks that the balance of MOHCD funds after  Parcel 4 is completed should be around $150,000.We need to use whatever money remains in the MOHCD grant by the end of 2020.NOTE: Susanna has reported subsequently that we will only have $50,600 left from this grant.  ???  The grant deadline can possibly be extended; a request to do so should be made in October

Add Backs:  Danielle sent a request for $40,000 to Ahsha’s office.  It has been very difficult (impossible?) of late to get in touch with anyone from his office, so we don’t know anything about the prospects of this request.  It was confirmed, however, that Friends of the Lakeview Summit Steps did get a request put in for $1.2 million ny Sup. Safai.  We would like to attend one of their meetings – how did they do this?NOTE: I’ve looked at their Facebook page (the only entry for them found on Google), but there is very little info there.

WHAT’S NEXT?

We should work on Parcel 2 next, since Parcel 3 development is dependent on what’s happening with the housing development on the lot adjacent to Parcel 3.
It was suggested that we at least make that section more walkable be widening and evening out the current rutted path, until we get funding to do the full job as designed by Nahal.  Would we need to put out an RFQ (Request for Qualifications)?Could we ask Rock and Rose or another landscaper to give us an idea as to costs and feasibility?Could Tyler act as our Project Manager?What would Nahal think of this?
NOTE: Susanna reports that Tyler would be happy to work with us on Parcel 2. This will facilitate the process.

Next Meeting: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at 7pm at the Ingleside Library, unless otherwise notified.
Respectfully submitted,barbara

Next RLN meeting: Tuesday, January 7

Happy 2020! Please join us next Tuesday, January 7 at 7p at the Ingleside Branch of the SFPL. We hope to see you there!

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

Minutes posted 2/5/2020:

In Attendance:  Neighbors: Mary Beth D’Alonso; Robert Muelhbauer; Warren Longmire; Lynn Yuan; Danielle Casey Callaghan; Barbara VanderBorghtSFPA: Susanna Fraker; DPW: Jonathan Goldberg


Note on Jonathan’s current role in relation to RLN involvement, during the interim with no official DPW liaison.  His title is Green Benefits and Community Programs Director, which includes managing Add Back Projects, but he also is working on Street Parks and Urban Harvesting, as well, and we’re glad he is. (jonathan.goldberg@sfdpw.org)


PARCEL 4 UPDATE

Railings needed to be changed due to the changes made to the staircase, which were necessitated by the unexpected live water pipe. This is moving ahead now.

  • Most recent issue concerns changes for an extended landing going onto San Miguel, which gave become required by the ADA inspector at DPW. Even though the previous design had been approved, the delays and other design changes made the whole project come under renewed scrutiny, and the parameters for ADA accesibility may have become more strict. LMNOP estimated that the cost to accommodate these changes, including raising a manhole cover, would be approximately $15,000. Lanita, from CCG indicated to Jonathan that she would have the funding, through SFPA handled grant money, to cover this increased cost.
  • They are waiting for the detailed formal drawings from Nahal to get approval from John Paul Scott, the ADA inspector.  He has already approved the informal drawings.  
  • Nahal stated she would send the preliminary drawings to Jonathan the next day for ADA review.
  • When the final drawings are ADA approved and Tyler (LMNOP) sends in an official estimate, Jonathan can approach Lanita for funding.
  • The railings and gabion benches are ready to be installed (except in the area of the extension).
  • The irrigation connection has been installed by the water department, ready to be hooked up to the irrigation system.

It would be nice to have an opening celebration around Valentine’s Day (Love Our City!)  Is this possible?

SFPA UPDATE

The Southwest Manager position has been filled, but that person, Terence Wu, won’t be starting until the end of February.  Can he come to our February meeting anyway?
Contacts:  recently emails have been sent by Claude, rather at the last minute, to only one or two people in our group – generally not the ones handling those matters.  This includes our financials, which should be going to Moneka. Susanna will see that he sends them to the right people.
Financial matters:  We have 2 accounts with SFPA: General and Grants. We would like to have better access to our ongoing financial  situation.  SFPA is working on a way partners can view their accounts online, but until this happens, we would at least like to have quarterly reports, and hopefully, get the balance amounts from our liaison on a monthly basis – at our meetings.

OTHER

We should have a current RLN list…this will go out so all can make updates.  Danielle will be the administrator 

Robert hasn’t gotten any response vis a vis top of Caine lot development.  He will continue to try to contact the developer,Jerry.

Apparently the Friends of Summit Steps have been promised a very large ($1 mil) grant by our supervisor.  How did they do that?  Was noted that they have been active in organizing or collaborating with  fund raising events.Danielle will see about attending one of their meetings. 

Barbara mentioned that she knows someone from the Cayuga neighborhood who had been instrumental in organizing their community to be prepared for emergencies.  She’s willing to come speak to us, if people are interested.  Groups expressed interest.  barbara will ask her to come to our March meeting.

Next meeting to be held on February 4, 2020 at 7pm at the Ingleside Library Meeting Room, unless otherwise notified.
Respectfully submitted,Barbara VanderBorght 

Next RLN meeting: Tuesday, November 12

Due to election day on Tuesday, November 5, the next meeting of RLN has been moved to Tuesday, November 12. Please join us at 7p at the Ingleside Branch of the SFPL. We hope to see you there! (And don’t forget to vote on November 5!)

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

RLN Meeting Tuesday, October 1st

Hello Neighbors,

Due to meeting space availability, the October meeting will be held at a neighbors house. Please message if you would like the address.

AGENDA
1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– DPW
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

We hope to see you there!

Minutes added 10/10/2019:

In Attendance:  Mary Beth D’Alonzo; Warren Longmire: Scott Kauffman; Robert Muehlbauer; Moneka Urbanske; Danielle Callaghan; Lynn Yuan; Barbara VanderBorghtFrom SFPA: Susanna Fraker
Welcome to Susanna, who is our interim liaison at SFPA.  A search for a permanent replacement for Marissa is in progress.Robert M. led the meeting.
SFPA MATTERRLN would like to have access to our financial accounts, but since this is not possible with the current SFPA system, we would like to have monthly reports so we know what our financial situation is on an ongoing basis, including being able to thank those making contributions.  Susanna said she would see about making this possible, and Moneka offered to work with her on this.
PARCEL 4RailingThe railing design was approved on September 4, and is being fabricated.  There is a 6 week lead time from the approval until it can be installed, so we should figure on that happening in mid-October sometime.UPDATE:  Mary Beth reported that the September 4 approval was not the final one in the process.  We are now looking at mid-November or later for the railing installation.
FenceThere have been 3 separate surveys to determine where the fence line for Ridge Lane and the property of 55 Caine is.  Although they all are in agreement, there was some confusion generated when trying to follow the City’s survey.This has mostly been resolved, however there are further questions to be answered:
Q. Should the fence be placed on the property line, or totally on public City property?  A. It was decided to place it totally on the public side of the property line.
Q. Who owns the fence? A. The City, especially since it will be on public property. This will make the City liable for it’s upkeep and replacement needs, presumably?
Q. What type of fence style will be installed?A. Since the property owner had a shadow box style fence there already, this should be considered a replacement for that.
Q. The property owner has been unresponsive in the past to approving a date to get the fence installed.  What should we do in the future?A. We will alert him to the date when the fence will be ready for installation and let hime know that we will be going ahead with this if we do not hear from him by a certain date before the installation.
WaterAn active water pipe was broken in early September while there was no work going on on the Lane.  The water department made a temporary fix, but a permanent repair is needed. Kimberly Kiefer is our new liaison at DPW. Someone (Mary Beth?) will follow up with her about this.An upside of the pipe break is that it was now clear where the back flow prevention device should go.  This has been installed – waiting for an inspection, after which the water meter can be installed.
Lights and BenchesWill these be installed at same time as the railing?  Mary Beth will look into.
Many Thanks to Mary Beth for all her work sorting this out for us!
Bottom Line completion date:  LMNOP’s deadline for project completion is the end of 2019.
WEBSITEDanielle has developed a new website for us, with input from Warren, Mary Beth and Kristin. She also created a new email address for the public: RidgeLaneNeighbors2019@gmail.com
Question for group:  since the domain name we had been using: RidgeLaneNeighbors.org has not become available for use yet (although many attempts were made to free it up), what domain name should we use for the website?It was decided to go with RidgeLaneNeighborsSF.org The email address should now be changed to that name as well, to be consistent. UPDATE:  The new website has gone live!  Thank you Danielle!   Has the email address been changed as well?
The cost for the new name and server hosting for 3 years is $106.  This fee will come from money Lynn has on hand from t-shirt sales.
OPENING CELEBRATIONAlthough it is hoped that the lights (especially) and benches will be installed around the same time as the railing, it was decided we should have our opening celebration as soon as possible after the Lane is safely open to foot traffic when the railing are installed.Mary Beth will let us know when Tyler of LMNOP has a projected finish date, then we can put out a couple of possible dates in November and December for our group to agree upon.UPDATE:  since the railing won’t be installed now until mid-November, we need to look at early December as a first possible date – maybe Saturday, December 7? 
It could be as simple as an announcement as:  The Lane is Open!  Come Celebrate!We should invite all our donors and institutional partners, as well as the Mayor and our supervisor, for a public acknowledgement and thank you.  And a t-shirt.  Perhaps the Taco Tuesday neighbors would be willing to come.A special planning group (and meeting?) should be put together.
Next MeetingSince the first Tuesday in November is Election day, we will hold our monthly meeting on Tuesday, November 12, at 7:00pm at the Ingleside Library, unless otherwise notified.
Respectfully submitted,barbara vanderborght