RLN Monthly Meeting: Tonight at 7pm / SF Public Library


We will be holding our regular monthly meeting at the SF Public Library, Plymouth @ Ocean, tonight, May 1st, from 7 – 8:30pm.

1. Welcome
2. Approval Minutes
3. Monthly updates:
– SF Parks Alliance
– Contractors
– Grant applications
– Other ongoing issues
– Your concerns
4. Closing

We hope to see you there!

***added 5.9.18***

In attendance: neighbors Warren Longmire; Mary Beth D’Alonzo; Scott Kauffman; Barbara VanderBorght

Designers Eric Arneson and Nahal Sohbati;  SFPA: Marissa Alexander
Parcel 4: Funding and Process Updates
The decision date for the state grant we recently applied for is unknown, but it might not be until autumn.
Money from Sup. Safai will probably not be known until the end of June at the earliest.
Note: we are approximately $40,000 short of the amount needed to complete Parcel 4, in large part due to an increase in Parcel 4 costs when not done in conjunction with Parcel 3, which was how the bid was initially presented.
Warren and Mary Beth spoke with Ian of LMNOP about doing a phase in process on Parcel 4 so that work could be started with the budget we do have and then completed as more funds become available.  This would further increase the cost of the work on Parcel 4.  Ian will reconfigure a contract to meet our $188,000 + a bit, which Marissa said could be covered.
SF Parks Alliance has recently developed a new contract form which is much lengthier, more complicated and which has different insurance requirements for the contractors.  it seems to be aimed more at much larger contractors and projects than ours – makes it harder for the smaller ones.  This may hold up our being able to move ahead with LMNOP.
SFPA staff is in the process of working on revisions and clarifications with the pro bono lawyer who drew up the contract, but this process seems to be going slowly.
On the brighter side, delays in starting work will allow more time for fund raising and thus eliminate the need for a phase in.
Update from Marissa:
Following up from last night’s meeting re: the contract with LMNOP. To recap, Parks Alliance is working with LMNOP on the contract terms (the base language in our template, not LMNOP’s budget, timeline etc.) We just rolled out a new contract. LMNOP has some questions about the contract language that I have needed to assign to my Director to resolve with our pro-bono legal team. Those questions are with them and I have reminded my team regularly that this is an urgent matter that needs to be resolved. 
I reached out to Ian and we are still working on a 8-10 week timeline between contract signing and work beginning. We have set the goal to have the contract finalized by May 15th, which still puts us on track to begin and finish the hardscape this summer. It also puts us on a timeline where funding may be much clearer at the beginning of the work, which may make the phasing go more smoothly.
As soon as we have the base contract language ironed out, I’ll let you all know. LMNOP’s contract terms such as budget, timeline, etc will be available for review to the group before the contract is signed.
Parks Alliance has continued to push for funding with the Supervisor, Public Works and the Mayor for the FY19 Budget. Both the immediate $40k shortfall, as well as funding for parcels 2 & 3. I also know those three decision-makers have been talking to each other and other entities about funding for the project. 
SFPA Partner Conference
Mary Beth reported on this event which she attended in April and found very productive.
Some main points:
  • Erica from Norman Yee’s office stated that it is a good idea to contact neighboring district supervisors about one’s projects.  Since all sups vote on add back and participatory funds, the more sups who know about and support our project, the better. Mary Beth will initiate contact with Sup. Yee.
  • It may be a good idea to get into the Mayor’s budget process instead of relying just on add backs.  Marissa noted that we might have to be part of a larger organization  (like the OMI Collaborative, eg) to be able to do that.
  • Posible private funding sources could be Kaiser (from a health standpoint) and Salesforce – which doesn’t offer money, but does offer help developing fundraising plans.  Mary Beth will follow up with this.
  • PROSAC (Parks and Rec Open Space Advisory Committee) has 2 District 11 members.  Eventually we should get to know them and let them know about RL – Park and Rec might be able to take over the maintenance eventually.  We need someone to reach out to them.
  • State Prop. 68, the Drought, Water and Parks Bond on the June Ballot, could prove to be a source of funds for us. Take a look.
Other Business:
Parcels 2 and 3 have become very overgrown.  It was suggested we tie  working on for that  into a ground breaking event for Parcel 4, or do we want to schedule a separate work day?
Also noted we should keep an eye on any development of the land parcel at the end of the west side of Caine to insure it does not encroach on Ridge Lane.
Next Meeting:  scheduled for Tuesday, June 5 at 7:00pm at the Ingleside Library, unless otherwise announced.
Respectfully Submitted,
Barbara VanderBorght

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: